WIRE is a statewide community service organization established in 1981 through the Electric Cooperatives of South Carolina, Inc.
WIRE's motto is People Helping People, and to that end members aid victims of tornadoes, hurricanes, and house fires. They support homeless shelters, children's homes, and programs like Habitat for Humanity and the Palmetto Project.
- Promote understanding of and interest in the rural electrification movement;
- Support the member owned electric cooperatives as they improve the quality of life in rural South Carolina and the nation;
- Open communication between local electric cooperatives, statewide and national associations;
- Assist local, state, and national rural electric organizations in carrying out their legislative and public relations programs; and
- Establish relationships with other women's organizations helping to gain support and understanding for rural electrification programs.
Women eligible for membership include: consumer members, employees, employees' wives, retirees formerly associated with electric cooperatives, directors, and directors' wives. WIRE chapters are established by local electric cooperatives to work within their own service area. These chapters operate within the network of the South Carolina WIRE and the Cooperative Service Network. Each cooperative designates a key woman to work with state and national organizations and local managers.
To apply for membership please contact your local electric cooperative.
Women returning to school to earn college degrees may now apply for financial assistance from the Jenny Ballard Opportunity Scholarship program.