Electric Co-ops in South Carolina
Women Involved in Rural Electrification (WIRE)
WIRE is a statewide community service organization
established in 1981 through the Electric Cooperatives of South Carolina,
WIRE's motto is People Helping People, and to that end members aid
victims of tornadoes, hurricanes, and house fires. They support homeless
shelters, children's homes, and programs like Habitat for Humanity and
the Palmetto Project.
- Promote understanding of and interest in the rural electrification movement;
- Support the member owned electric cooperatives as they improve the quality of life in rural South Carolina and the nation;
- Open communication between local electric cooperatives, statewide and national associations;
- Assist local, state, and national rural electric organizations in
carrying out their legislative and public relations programs; and
- Establish relationships with other women's organizations helping to
gain support and understanding for rural electricication programs.
Women eligible for membership include: consumer members, employees,
employees' wives, retirees formerly associated with electric
cooperatives, directors, and directors' wives. WIRE chapters are
established by local electric cooperatives to work within their own
service area. These chapters operate within the network of the South
Carolina WIRE and the Cooperative Service Network. Each cooperative
designates a key woman to work with state and national organizations and
To apply for membership please contact your local electric cooperative.